Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Wait, is that a fruit dessert?

So, I don't believe in fruit desserts. Now I know there are people out there getting all up in arms about this, but let me explain myself before you all get worked up. I really just feel like fruit needs a certain texture. When fruit is cooked it gets soggy and gross and mushy. ew. Obviously there are exceptions to this- I like strawberries in a syrup or covered in chocolate and I like bananas baked into breads and muffins. I like smoothies (everything is blenderized until it is the same texture!) and I like fruit sauces for my waffles (we made strawberry-pear sauce and pineapple sauce last weekend!). However, I despise fruit layered cakes. I remember eating cake at birthday parties when I was a kid and I would dig into the cake and take a big bite, only to find out the middle layer was a jelly fruit spread. . I just think that's a waste of fruit and a waste of cake!

Ok, having said that, I made a pear almond tart last week. Wait, what? I totally broke my fruit rule! But wait, here's the thing, I made it for my boy's birthday as a surprise. And I'm so proud of it because it came out really pretty. I thought it looked like one of those tarts they feature in the magazines! I'm still so excited about it!

Pear Almond Tart

Ingredients:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is said boy's hand in picture, and it was yummy (rich). I love being a taste-tester, sigh. :)

Anonymous said...

woohoo! pear tart! so good!