Thursday, August 31, 2006

Fresh Cabbage Salad

Normally my mom does all the cooking in my house, but I have to admit, my daddy makes this one really good dish. He was the first person to make this cabbage salad for me, so even if it was originally my mom's recipe, I always associated it with my dad (sorry mom! hi dad!) I love this stuff. It sounds a bit too simple to be tasty, but it really is. And what's great is that the flavors are better the next day after the citrus has had some time to marinate the cabbage, so you can store the salad and eat it over a few days!

Fresh Cabbage Salad

2 cups chopped cabbage- use only the inside part of the cabbage, the whitish part. This part has the "sweetest" leaves on the head and will make the best tasting dish. Cut the cabbage into longer strands, rather than squares. For some reason, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of eating square cabbage pieces in this dish!

1 cup chopped tomatoes (any kind is fine, but keep in mind, they're going to be eaten raw, so they should be the freshest, juiciest tomatoes you can get. I like to use vine-ripened tomatoes; grape or cherry tomatoes would also be yummy)

Mix cabbage and tomatoes. Add lots of black pepper and salt to taste.

P.S. This is going to be the first of many posts on cabbage, because I absolutely love cabbage. It can be prepared in so many different ways, and it can sit in the fridge for weeks without going bad!!

No comments: