I love this salsa. It is so fresh and tasty. The cool thing about this recipe is that it's so easy to adjust the spicyness of the salsa and it uses 4 items off of my essential ingredients list!
Salsa (spice level: medium)
Ingredients:
2 ripe tomatoes (I like to use vine-ripened tomatoes because they are the juicest and tastiest, in my opinion)
1 white or red onion
1 jalapeno (adjust according to your heat preference)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
salt to taste
handful of cilantro leaves
This will probably make about 2 cups of salsa, but I guarantee it will be consumed in minutes, so be ready to double or triple the recipe!
Cut tomatoes, onions, and peppers into small pieces. Mix. Add lime juice. Add finely chopped cilantro leaves as a garnish if you have some, but this isn't absolutely necessary. I don't like biting into large pieces of cilantro, so I like to cut the leaves really small so I can appreciate the fragrance without feeling like I'm eating grass. Finally, add salt to taste (keep in mind, if you're eating this salsa with a salted item, like chips, don't put too much salt in the salsa.)
Note: If there are going to be children eating this, try eliminating the pepper altogether for them. It will still be a really tasty snack for everyone. Also, just a warning: I once tried a version of this salsa that had minced garlic in it, and it was awful. aaaaaaaawful. It tasted like it was trying to be salsa and bruschetta at the same time, which doesn't work at all (how could it possibly please the italian and mexican palates at the same time?!) So if someone says to you, hey, let's add garlic- JUST SAY NO! Ok, now that I've gotten that little PSA out of my system...
The next logical question is: What can this be eaten with??? Regular tortilla chips or pita chips work well. But that's the other really amazing thing about this stuff, you can use it on EVERYTHING! In my parents' house, we eat toast with hummus and salsa; I add the salsa to scrambled eggs; the salsa can also be a lovely garnish for tofu burgers.
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yum Yum!
Mucha Salsa!
Woohoo!! I think you know what I'm woo-hooing about.
Um PS, was it really necessary to be THAT dramatic? "JUST SAY NO!" DON'T LET YOUR KIDS DO DRUGS! Ok I'm done, don't hate me. :)
Post a Comment