Last week, my best friend accepted a job in Boston, so we decided to celebrate the best way we know how- with champagne and dessert! I made chocolate cupcakes for my choc-oholic friend, but after making them, I realized that I didn't have any frosting in the kitchen. So, I read a couple of recipes on my favorite recipe sites (foodtv.com and epicurious.com) and came up with the following frosting recipe:
Chocolate-Coffee Frosting
Ingredients:
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/8 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup powdered sugar (Confectioners' sugar)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/8 cup hot coffee (I used French Roast)
1. Mix butter, sugar and chocolate chips in a small saucepan on low heat. Stir to make sure the sugar doesn't burn or stick to the bottom. If the butter boils, the heat is too high.
2. Add almond extract.
3. Add heavy cream to give the frosting a glossy texture.
4. Add hot coffee until the frosting is the thickness of whole milk.
5. Refrigerate for thirty minutes to allow the frosting to solidify.
If the frosting tastes too sweet, add more heavy cream to lighten the flavor (isn't it ironic that HEAVY cream can lighten a flavor?!)
Also, I would like to mention that this frosting is really versatile. I have used it as a topping for waffles and as a topping for ice cream. All you need to do is heat it for a few seconds to make it more liquidy.
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
The frosting were awesome. The cupcakes were awesome. I hope I'm the said chocoholic friend. Awesomeeee, kay
everything was amazingg, you will be catering all future functions that i am asked to plan
everything was amazingg, you will be catering all future functions that i am asked to plan
for a little kick, try adding a bit of Bailey's (to everything) ;) the baileys frosting i made for the carrot cake was pretty good!
Post a Comment