
I make good chai. That's all there is to it. I've made lots of variations, including elaborate 12-ingredient masala mixes or using tea leaves straight from the motherland. But really, making a good cup of chai is so easy and so simple. Everyone likes this chai, Indians, non-Indians, etc. It's just such a comforting flavor on a cold, gloomy day. Or when you're stressed. Or excited. Or tired. Basically, it's good for any and every occasion! Here's the recipe I use, step by step:
For 1 cup of chai:
1. Using the mug that you are going to be drinking the chai out of, pour half a mug of milk (I use 1%) into a pot with one mug of water into a pot.
2. Add 1 cardamom pod (crack open and use the entire pod) to the pot.
3. Add a pinch of fresh ginger.
4. Bring to a boil at medium heat. Be REALLY careful and watch the pot or the milk will boil over, guaranteed. Watch your milk! I wouldn't recommend using high heat, because the milk will probably end up burning and sticking to the bottom, which will change the flavor of the entire pot of chai. boo to that!
5. After the milk/water comes to a boil, add 1 teabag if you like the tea light, use 2 teabags if you like it stronger, as I do. Typically, tea experts say you should "give a teabag or a s
poon of tea leaves to the pot," but I would only use one teabag if you know you don't like strong tea. I use regular Lipton tea bags, but you can definitely use fancier blends- Darjeeling tea leaves, if you like.6. Let your tea simmer for 15- 20 minutes on low heat, until the chai is a nice tannish/brown color. Strain into mug. Add sugar to taste.
So a couple things- first off, before my sister says anything, I admit she makes really good chai too. But, I introduced good chai to my family, so there! Also, this recipe is not cut and dry since everyone likes to drink their chai a little differently. Definitely increase cardamom ratios, or include cinnamon or more ginger or whatever. This is just my favorite basic recipe for chai. Try it, it's great! Let me know how your chai turns out (esp you, Kimbop!)
5 comments:
woohoo! chai-nisha!
it made me feel better when i was sick! yay!
Hey wow it looks so dramatic with the pics up :)
oooOOO THANKS anisha!! perfect. i'll definitely be brewing some in the coming months as i toil over the books! and i'll be sure to let you know how it turns out :p
anisha's chai is soo amazing, that even without the 6 tbsps of sugar that she adds for everyone else it is still delicious =)
Post a Comment