Saturday, December 16, 2006

Rice and Beans

My sister made a rice and beans dish the other night inspired by her friend Sneha's recipe, and because she wanted to attempt a tex-mex-ish dish. It was so delicious and, she claims, really easy to make! The good thing about this dish, and most other dishes that I make, is that you can put in whatever veggies you want (or meat if you swing that way, lol!)

Part A: THE RICE

Heat veggie oil in a pot at medium heat. Add 2 tbsps chopped garlic. Once the garlic has cooked, add veggies. My sister used 1/2 cup of chopped red bell peppers, 1/2 cup chopped green peppers, 1/2 cup chopped white onions, and 1 cup chopped plum tomatoes. After the veggies softened, she added 2 cups of uncooked basmati rice. Stir for a couple of minutes. Add 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (with juice), 2 tbsps Ortega taco seasoning, and salt to taste. Cover pot and lower heat. Allow the rice to cook in the juice, until it fluffs to your liking. It should take about 10 minutes. You can add water or veggie broth to the rice if you like the rice fluffier, which is what my sister did.

Part B: THE BEANS

Buy frijoles negros (black beans, I know, but I like to pretend I'm cultured and a polyglot), wash them. Serve with rice!

Serve with shredded Monterey Jack, salsa (we use Taco Bell sauce!!), and finely sliced scallions. We love Taco Bell sauce in our family, so I strongly suggest using it- buuuuuuuut, I suppose you could use another type of sauce or salsa! : )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo, someone's been busy, er... eating meals every day! who knew?!

anisha said...

hey! you were the first one to comment again! yeh!

Anonymous said...

i know, i kind of rule, right? :D

anisha said...

no didi, i didn't delete you... i swear! i know that, because your name is highlighted in blue, which means you have a blogger identity on file

Kate said...

yum, sounds amazing! Ashu, when I come to visit you in NYC, I am requesting that you make this! I will bring you a very nice dessert wine, I promise! Also, suggestion for salsa: the hot one from Trader Joe's; it's quite amazing.

Anonymous said...

Another way (called Eslamboli Polow):
for 2 people:
-2 tomatoes in a warm canola oil pan, cook till caramelize
-in a separate pan cook onions (1 or 1 and a half, Spanish onion)
-add green beans to onions
-mix the tomatoes with the onions and beans
-add a bit of cinnamon
-put a cap on and let it simmer for at least half an hour
-mix the rice and salt then pour some Saffron. Mix.
-Done (You may steam it for a bit more if you wish the flavor to blossom)