Monday, September 04, 2006

South Indian Cabbage

I have this great vegetarian cookbook by Madhur Jaffrey- I absolutely love it because I can make any recipe in the book! My sister and I decided that we are going to work our way through the book, cooking all the recipes that sound appetizing to us. We each picked a recipe to make for our parents this past weekend. We cook well together when we have our own projects! I, of course, picked a cabbage dish to make!

South Indian Cabbage
1. Chop cabbage into long, thin pieces (coleslaw-esque). Wash.
2. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil in a pan, I prefer a wok.
3. Add 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add 1 tbsp urad dal, 1/2 tsp fenugreek powder (or 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds), 1/2 tsp asafetida.
4. Add 10-12 curry leaves. Stir.
5. Add cabbage. Stir until cabbage is cooked through (around 5 minutes).
6. Add 1 tbsp coconut milk. Mix.

I love this dish because it's quick, easy, really tasty, AND according to my South Indian taste-testers, the cabbage actually tastes like real South Indian food! woohoo!

ps pictures to come soon!

No comments: